Monday, March 1, 2010

Week 8 Post


"Randy Pausch Last Lecture: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams"
This was a very enlightening video. Randy Pausch made it very interesting. It wasn't hard to pay attention for a hour and 20 min. I think he makes very good points in here about achieving your dreams and life in general. It was uplifting to see him have a positive attitude even though he was dying.
Many kids have dreams but they never try to work for and give up. Some are they cannot fulfill them or that they shouldn't have dreams. As teachers, we should do everything we can to help our students fulfill their dreams. Sometimes, that might be challenging them or getting them to work harder. It depends on what their dreams are and how the students respond.
Being a future educator I took a lot of advice about teaching since Randy Pausch was a teacher. He made a point not to set the bar or expect a certain level of performance from the students. I think this is a good way of looking at education since you want to teach as well as you can. If you set a level of expectations then you will only teach to that level and you want to make sure the students get the best education possible.
The video was very good. It teaches lessons that we can use in life and take with us as we start teaching.


Comments for kids
This week, I commented on a students blog. She post blog about monsters and whether to believe in them or not.

3 comments:

  1. Like you, I too enjoyed his last lecture. In my post I stated how my parents said in my senior memory page of my high school year book to never loose hope in your dreams. There will always be hard times in the road ahead, but never get discouraged. Always reach for the highest dream and complete it. This will make you great. But I also liked when Pausch said “chase your dreams, help others, and give good advice.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed this lecture. I like how you added a picture too. That was pretty cool. I think it is important to no set a bar for your students because you will never know how far they can go if you set a limit for them. And I agree with what you said about, as teachers, trying our best to help the students fulfill their dreams. No matter what it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just like you I had no problem sitting there for an hour. He was so good to listen to, I just wish I could have been there! As teachers we should encourage our students to achieve their dreams no matter how big they are. I also believe that we should encourage other educators to achieve their dreams! Really great job, good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete