Saturday, January 23, 2010

Week 2 Blog Post

"A vision of students today"
I can personally relate to some relate to some of the topics and points brought up in this video. Books cost a fortune and I don't even use some of them. Most of the professors I have had know my name or knew my name at least while I was in their class. I agree with some topics that have been brought up in this video.
I do agree that some reading assignments given by professors are too long. They assign so much reading that sometimes it can be hard to finish all of it. There are other responsibilities outside of the classroom. But its not like anybody said college was going to be easy. Students have to use their time wisely to get done what needs to get done.

"It's not about the technology"
This was a very interesting article. I agree with Ms. Kelly Hines about her view of technology in education. While it can be very useful, there is no point in spending money and time setting up technological tools if the teacher cannot be innovative to use these tools to teach. Teachers must be creative in their ways of delivery. They need to bring many ways of delivering a subject to students. There are a lot of different minds that do not learn the same.
Therefore, technology can not really help us unless we change the whole mindset of education. We need to first change the way we think. As teacher, we need to keep up-to-date with information about ways and methods we can use to teacher students. After this, technology can be put in place to only further improve methods and delivery.

"Is it okay to be a technologically illiterate teacher?"
It certainly seems that in times today many people are not able to get by without being some type of technological literate. Whether it is with cell phones, computers, or fax machines. People wouldn't be to survive. We are growing more technologically dominated everyday. There are first graders that are better with computers than their parents. This shows us where the world is going today and the type of students that will be entering the work force in the future.
If teachers choose not be technologically literate then they are hurting the chances of their students. They can not teach their students how to be technologically literate. Times are changing and forcing people to shift from old ways of working to new technological ways. The students will entering this work force after we are done with them and it is our responsibility to get them ready for it. So I agree with Karl Fisch. Teachers can not afford to be technologically illiterate, at least in this day and age.

"Social Media Count"
As I look at this counter, I can't help but notice how fast that this numbers grow. And as I am writing this blog for an education class, I can't help but think has to how many of my future students have and will be contributing to these amounts. What this means to me as future as educator is that I will definitely have to stay up-to-date with technological information. This is so I can have better tools to teach my future students and also keep their attention.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I much agree with what you said. People would NOT survive today without being some form of technologically literate. I think there should be more programs like ours helping people get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with people not being able to survive without some form of technology! I know I wouldn't. I also agree with Miss Hines and yourself about having to change the mindset of teaching. You have to be creative! Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete